SETI@home

BOINC project discussions and announcements
Contact

SETI@home

Post by Contact »

https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/

SETI@home is an Internet-based public volunteer computing project employing the BOINC software platform created by the Berkeley SETI Research Center and is hosted by the Space Sciences Laboratory, at the University of California, Berkeley. Its purpose is to analyze radio signals, searching for signs of extraterrestrial intelligence, and as such is one of many activities undertaken as part of the worldwide SETI effort.

SETI@home was released to the public on May 17, 1999, making it the third large-scale use of distributed computing over the Internet for research purposes, after Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search (GIMPS) was launched in 1996 and distributed.net in 1997. Along with MilkyWay@home and Einstein@home, it is the third major computing project of this type that has the investigation of phenomena in interstellar space as its primary purpose.

On March 31 2020, the project stopped sending out new work to SETI@home users, bringing this particular SETI effort to an indefinite hiatus. The SETI team has stated that new ways for the public to contribute to SETI will become available.

Contact

Re: SETI@home

Post by Contact »

An important post from Dr. David Anderson
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_t ... 19#2066219

This inspiring sentence stands out for me as a call to future researchers. And maybe a future BOINC project.
David Anderson wrote:But there's an important lesson here for future radio SETI sky surveys: if possible, make each observation long enough for your longest FFT.

RaphBM

Post by RaphBM »

Hey 😜 First sorry for my bad english ! I hope I am at the right place...
I'm a fervent user of Boinc Computing-System since 2002 July 31st,
mostly for the Seti@home project, wich one I really love 😍.
About a year ago, I have not anymore received any work to compute 😭
So I decided to simply uninstall it, sorry 🙏 for that.
I've just read today your post on Facebook Group "BOINC processing for science",
about Boinc Synergy Forum... So I'm here 😉
1-Could someone explain me clearly why Seti stopped working ?
Will it work again ? When ?
2-I've try other projects, but did not enjoy it 😢 Could someone advise me
for a nice project as Seti ? (if Seti wont work again of course 🤣)
PS. Is there a forum like this one about Boinc & Seti, but in french ?
Thanks for your advices &/or help 😘
Raphaël, Paris, France

Contact

Post by Contact »

RaphBM, your English is great and welcome!

SETI@home is currently in hibernation.
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=85267&postid=2035163 wrote:On March 31, the volunteer computing part of SETI@home will stop distributing work and will go into hibernation.

We're doing this for two reasons:

1) Scientifically, we're at the point of diminishing returns; basically, we've analyzed all the data we need for now.

2) It's a lot of work for us to manage the distributed processing of data. We need to focus on completing the back-end analysis of the results we already have, and writing this up in a scientific journal paper.

However, SETI@home is not disappearing. The web site and the message boards will continue to operate. We hope that other UC Berkeley astronomers will find uses for the huge computing capabilities of SETI@home for SETI or related areas like cosmology and pulsar research. If this happens, SETI@home will start distributing work again. We'll keep you posted about this.

If you're currently running SETI@home on your computer, we encourage you to attach to other BOINC-based projects as well. Or use Science United and sign up to do astronomy. You can stay attached to SETI@home, of course, but you won't get any jobs until we find new applications.

We're extremely grateful to all of our volunteers for supporting us in many ways during the past 20 years. Without you there would be no SETI@home. We're excited to finish up our original science project, and we look forward to what comes next.
It's uncertain if SETI@home will return but the latest from David Anderson is
https://setiathome.berkeley.edu/forum_thread.php?id=85810&postid=2088641 wrote:So until further notice we're done with computing
There are lots of other BOINC projects to choose from. See BOINC Synergy's front page https://boincsynergy.ca for links to all projects.
What are you looking for specifically? Screensavers? Astronomy based?

PS There is a large French BOINC team with forum here

RaphBM

Post by RaphBM »

Thank you so much 🙏 "Contact" for all the informations you gave me 😜 especially for the boinc-af.org link ! I'm going to read (in french 🤣) and learn about other computing-projetcs I could reach, even if not about extra-terrestrial-life 👽 !

Remario

Post by Remario »

Cool idea and projects. I used to move to Edmonton recently and got pr card renewal edmonton here But without money I did not stay in Canada and did not open own business. You know that The document that proves your permanent residency is a Permanent Residence Card (or PR Card for short). This document is needed for travels outside of the country and to prove your legal immigration status in Canada.